Wednesday, October 18, 2006

nin uuru yaavudu

[Low intellectual level, zero global relevance]

Long long ago, there was a Soiro Pai was staying in Goa. When the Portuguese arrived there, he, like many other Hindu families at the time, fled with his family down south into Karnataka. They settled at a place called Harekal at the Uttara Kannada District. His son Vasudev Pai assumed Harekal as a prefix to his name, which was followed upto my father (at least my brother or me do not have it as a part of our name). Vasudev's son Vaman moved to Mangalore (Mangalooru?) to work at the port since Harekal was a small village and there wasn't much to do there. His son Narayan, was born and grew up in Mangalore, working in the rice trade. His son, my father, moved to Bangalore and has been here for over 25 years. I was born in Mumbai (then Bombay*), my mothers place of residence for over 20 of her initial years. From the age of 6 months right up to this day, I have generally resided in Bangalore (Bengalooru?).

This is only my father's father's ancestor story. There are 3 more (Pa's Ma, Ma's Ma and Ma's Pa), which I might add here later.

igaa naan keLtini, nanna uuru yaavudu, hELi.

* Thanks, Deva.

1 comment:

Devadutta Ghat said...

ninna ooru bengaLurE boss,
because, you have stayed here for more than 20 years.. your birth place will be bombay, not mumbai, as it was mumbai when you were born :p