Tuesday, December 19, 2006

An unexpected book purchase

[Substance-less drag - skip down, read the book titles, and borrow them from me.]

On my way back home, I was passing through Malleshwaram. For a change, I thought I'll go into a shop without intent to buy a specific thing - I thought I'll go into Nilgiris and see what they have in stock which wouldn't be available elsewhere. Coming from Gutahalli main road, I parked on one of the crosses and started walking down the main road on which I thought Nilgiris was. Soon, I'd reached Malleshwaram circle upon which I realized that, well, I wasn't on the right road - (Nilgiris is on Margosa road, I was on the Sampige road.).

Just when I was going to turn and walk back, to my left I saw a book exibhition cum sale. I did want to do some window-like shopping, and what better than books to, so I just get inside. I end up coming out with:
Jeffrey Archer's The fourth estate and First among equals, and Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Supremacy. Priced (fixed) at 90/- each, I didn't need to haggle with the shopkeeper. The books were in the usual bad condition, old brown pages, near-tatters, partly-torn outer cover etc. - much like how they would be if I got them from my local library, except without the outer plastic sheath.

My reasoning to buying them was that they're fat enough to take me at least two weeks to read them, my library would charge about Rs. 18/- per week for each of them, and if I get a couple of others to read these too, then that'd more than make up for the price of the book.

No comments: